Emergency Dentistry in Baton Rouge, LA
A dental emergency can compromise your dental health and requires immediate attention. It can be an infection that can affect your overall health and cause you to experience symptoms such as swelling, bleeding, pain, or even tooth loss. Or, it can be a tooth injury, which may cause the tooth to be knocked out, chipped, cracked, or fractured. If you experience any of these symptoms or have a tooth injury, contact our Dentist in Baton Rouge, LA immediately.
How to Tell If It’s an Emergency?
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if your dental issue is an emergency. However, if you can answer yes to any of the following questions, then it’s likely you should be seen by a dentist as soon as possible.
- Are you bleeding? Bleeding can often indicate that you have an infection or another issue that is serious enough that you need to see a dentist right away.
- Are you experiencing pain? Pain is your body’s way of letting you know that something is not ok. It could be something as simple as a cavity, but it could also be more serious, like a crack in your tooth.
- Is your tooth sensitive? Sensitivity means that your tooth is vulnerable. If you don’t address the issue, the tooth may be damaged or lost.
Types of Dental Emergencies
A dental emergency involves an issue that requires immediate care, including:
Bleeding gums: This is a sign of gum disease, and you should see the dentist immediately for treatment.
Cracked or broken tooth: This can be the result of an accident, but it could also be the result of grinding your teeth at night. Either way, you’ll need to see the dentist right away.
Toothache: An aching tooth can be the result of a number of issues, including gum disease or an infected tooth. You should make an appointment with an emergency dentist as soon as possible.
Abscess: An abscessed tooth is a painful and serious dental emergency. You should see our dentist immediately for treatment.
What to Do If You Have a Dental Emergency
If you or your child has a dental emergency, please contact our emergency dentist on priority. Our clinic offers same-day emergency dental care, including same-day emergency appointments.
A dental emergency can be a scary experience, but knowing what to do can keep you calmer. Here are some things you can do in the event of a dental emergency:
- In the event of trauma, call an emergency dentist immediately.
- If you experience bleeding, place damp gauze in the mouth.
- If a tooth cracks, rinse the mouth with warm water and apply a cold compress to the affected area.
- If a filling falls out, place a piece of sugar-free gum in the hole to protect the area.
- If a dental crown comes off, rinse the tooth but do not scrub it. Place it back on your tooth if possible.
- If you lose a tooth, rinse it but do not scrub it. If possible, gently place the tooth back in the socket and call an emergency dentist immediately.
To find out more about the dental services we offer at College Family Dentistry, call (225) 926-4640 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit us at 4616 Concord Avenue, Baton Rouge, LA 70808.